Need a Roadworthy Inspection?

Get roadside assistance or find specialists near you.

usp australia

Australia's #1 booking site for car services & repairs

usp heart

Book now, pay later Interest-free payments

usp transparent fees

Transparent prices no surprises

Average rating for Roadworthy inspection


4.7 • based on 2095 reviews of 525 businesses

Buy now, pay later banners

*Available at select service providers. T&Cs apply.

Average rating for Roadworthy inspection


4.7 • based on 2095 reviews of 525 businesses

Roadworthy Inspection

How Much does a Roadworthy Inspection Cost?

Roadworthy Inspections are the Federal Government's way of ensuring your vehicle meets minimum safety requirements.

However, each state and territory has their own names and regulations for when you may need a roadworthy inspection.

The cost of a Roadworthy Inspection can vary depending on which state or territory you’re in and what level of inspection you need.

After a roadworthy or safety certificate? Get an instant quote with Australia’s largest network of mechanics!

Australian State and Territory Requirements

Each state and territory in Australia has different requirements for why you may need to obtain a Roadworthy Inspection, but what are they? Let’s break it down.

New South Wales
Roadworthy Inspections in NSW can get a little confusing.

There are 2 different types of inspections, a Safety Check Certificate (Pink Slip) which is needed when renewing a registration (every 12 months), or an Authorised Unregistered Vehicle Inspection Scheme (AUVIS) inspection (Blue slip), which is needed if a vehicle is not registered in NSW, the registration has expired or been cancelled.

We’ve broken down each certificate that may be relevant to you when trying to register or renew a registration in NSW.

Safety Check Certificate or eSafety Inspection Report (previously called a pink slip)
When you’re renewing your registration, you’ll need to ensure you have a Safety Check if your vehicle is more than five years old and is classed as a ‘light vehicle’. Here are the light vehicle classifications:

  • Passenger cars
  • Goods carrying vehicles with a Gross Vehicle Mass of 4.5 tonnes or less (without power-operated brakes)
  • All motorcycles
  • Trailers and caravans with an aggregate trailer mass of 4.5 tonnes or less (including those fitted with breakaway brakes, but not including those fitted with air or vacuum (breakaway) braking systems)

Your registration renewal notice will state whether or not you will need a safety check, except in the case of some point to point transport vehicles (taxi and hire vehicles).

Safety Checks can only be performed at an Authorised Inspection Scheme station.

The results of your safety check will be sent electronically to Roads and Maritime which will allow you to renew your registration online.

Light vehicle safety check inspection reports are only valid for six months. This means you’ll have 6 months from the safety check date to renew your registration. You’ll be looking at around $42 (inc GST) for a Safety Check Certificate.

If a vehicle does not pass the check, the registration cannot be renewed until the required repairs have been completed.

For more information on renewing your registration, click here.

Authorised Unregistered Vehicle Inspection Scheme (AUVIS) inspection (previously called a blue slip)
This inspection can also be called a Safety and Identity check. If a vehicle is not registered in NSW or the registration is expired or cancelled, you must have an Authorised Unregistered Vehicle Inspection Scheme (AUVIS) inspection before it can be registered.

This type of inspection report is only valid for 42 days from the date of the inspection. For a light vehicle Safety and Identity Check, you’ll be looking at around $66 (inc GST).

Repairs Required Report (White Slip)
If a vehicle has been deemed a repairable write-off, before registering the vehicle you will need to obtain a repairs required report. The point of this report is to outline all the repairs that will need to be carried out before the vehicle can be registered. To book a Vehicle Identification and Inspection Unit (VIIU) for your vehicle, you’ll need to budget $70 for the booking fee and $454 for the inspection fee - this is only for the first inspection.

Compulsory Third Party Insurance (Green Slip)
To register a vehicle in NSW you MUST have Compulsory third party insurance (CTP), also known as a Green Slip. This covers you if other people are injured in a crash if you or the other person driving is at fault.

For more information on renewing your registration or the costs involved, check out the NSW government website.

In Queensland, a roadworthy inspection is called a ‘Safety Certificate’. They used to be called a Roadworthy Certificate or a Blue Slip, due to the piece of paper being blue.

Over the last year, the QLD government have been slowly phasing out hand-written safety certificates and introducing an electronic version.

A safety certificate is needed if you’re:

  • Selling a registered light vehicle
  • Transferring registration to a new owner
  • Transferring to a QLD registration from another state or territory
  • Re-registering an unregistered vehicle.

Vehicles that require safety certificates are the following;

  • Cars
  • Motorcycles
  • Trailers (including caravans) with an aggregate trailer mass (ATM) between 750kg and 3,500kg
  • Any other vehicles up to 4,500kg gross vehicle mass (GVM).

If you need a safety certificate for an unregistered vehicle, you can actually drive the vehicle unregistered to the appointment, under specific requirements.

If your vehicle doesn't pass the safety certificate check, you’re able to get an unregistered permit to drive your vehicle to a mechanic to be fixed, or you’ll have to get it towed.

Safety Certificate Inspections fees in Queensland are set by the government, which means they do not vary.

For motor vehicles up to 4,500kg GVM (gross vehicle mass) it will cost $86.20. Trailers over 750kg up to 3,500kg pay $43.15 fee and motorcycles pay $55.40.

For more information about Queensland, Safety Certificates, click here.

In Victoria, a roadworthy inspection is called a ‘Certificate of Roadworthiness’. This certificate is only required if:

  • A vehicle is sold
  • A used vehicle needs to be re-registered
  • If a vehicle defect needs to be cleared

In some cases, vehicles are exempt from requiring a Certificate of Roadworthiness.

Only a licensed vehicle tester is able to issue a Certificate of Roadworthiness. If a certificate was obtained to register or transfer a vehicle, you only have 30 days from the issuing date to update the details.

If a vehicle fails the test, you only have 7 days to repair or replace the rejected items outlined in the report. If it takes more than 7 days to fix the vehicle, a full inspection will be required again.

The price of a Roadworthiness Certificate can vary depending on the age, type and condition of a vehicle.

For more information about this certificate, click here.

South Australia
Roadworthy Inspections in South Australia are a lot more relaxed compared to other states and territories. When registering a vehicle, the only time a vehicle will need a roadworthy inspection if a vehicle has been modified, written-off or defected.

Here are a few more cases when a Roadworthy Certificate is required in SA:

  • Has been fitted with a non-standard engine
  • Has been structurally changed
  • Has been issued with a defect notice
  • Is a dedicated rally car, street rod or an individually constructed vehicle
  • Has had modifications made to the brakes, steering or suspension systems
  • Has been imported from overseas and requires an exemption from the fitting of a compliance plate (cars manufactured after 1971 and for motorcycles manufactured after 1977)
  • Was originally manufactured as left-hand drive
  • Has had a change in the vehicle's seating capacity
  • Was registered in another state or territory, is more than seven years old and has an unladen mass of 4.5 tonnes or more
  • Is a repaired, economically written-off vehicle
  • Has a seating capacity of 12 or less and is used to carry passengers for hire, fare or reward (except self-drive)
  • Is a bus with seating for 13 or more
  • Is a heavy vehicle or trailer with a Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM) or Aggregate Trailer Mass (ATM) of more than 4.5 tonnes and three years of age or over from the date of manufacture, being transferred to a new owner for registration in South Australia.

A $24 booking fee is required for all inspections, with some exemptions.

Click here for a roadworthy inspection cost breakdown or for more information about Roadworthy Inspections visit the South Australian Government website.

A Roadworthy Inspection is not a legal requirement when buying or selling a vehicle in Tasmania. However, to re-establish a vehicle registration you may need a Roadworthy Inspection by an Approved Inspection Station (AIS). These are the requirements:

  • Have had registration expired for 3 months or more (if your vehicle was registered in Tasmania and expired less than 3 months ago you can back pay the registration renewal to the expiry date and the vehicle will not require an inspection - Renew Registration)
  • Are Ex-mainland vehicles
  • Are Ex-government and purchased at auction
  • Have cancelled registration
  • Are recorded as a repairable write-off. (Will require 3 levels of inspection, if wrecked 2 levels). Written Off Vehicles FAQ (a statutory write-off cannot be re-registered in Tasmania

Also, if your vehicle has been issued with a defect notice or has been deemed unroadworthy, your vehicle will need to have a Roadworthy inspection.

Currently, the Tasmanian Automobile Chamber of Commerce (TACC) is lobbying for mandatory Roadworthy Inspections on the transfer of ownership for vehicles over 5 years old with the support of the Tasmanian Council for social service.

The Tasmanian Government have a handy checklist to ensure your vehicle stays Roadworthy.

Australian Capital Territory (ACT)
Roadworthy Inspections are only required for the following:

  • Any vehicle over six years old requiring a transfer of ownership
  • Interstate vehicles transferring to ACT registration
  • Any new vehicle (purchased in the ACT or elsewhere) from a dealer not enrolled in the ACT Proof of Identity arrangements
  • When registration has expired for more than 12 months
  • Defect clearances
  • Establishment of registration

If a vehicle meets one of the above requirements, the inspection can be carried out at the following 2 locations:

  • Access Canberra Motor Vehicle Inspection Station (at Hume)
  • Authorised Inspection Station

If a vehicle passes the Roadworthy Inspection, the certificate is only valid for 30 days from the date it was issued.

If a vehicle classed as:

  • Over 4.5-tonne gross vehicle mass (GVM
  • Public Vehicle
  • Modified vehicles
  • Imported vehicles
  • Vehicle without compliance plates

You must book the Roadworthy inspection at the Access Canberra Motor Vehicle Inspection Station at Hume and NOT an Authorised Inspection Station.

To find out more about booking an inspection at Access Canberra Motor Vehicle Inspection Station click here.

Western Australia
Roadworthy Inspections are called ‘Vehicle Examinations’ in Western Australia and are needed if:

  • You want to license (register) your vehicle in Western Australia.
  • You receive a compliance notice (often referred to as a yellow sticker, work order or defect notice)
  • You have modified your vehicle (e.g. Change body, engine, dimensions)
  • Your vehicle is subject to an annual examination*
  • You want to license a repairable written-off vehicle

The only vehicles that require annual inspection are buses, taxis and other vehicles like driving instructor vehicles.

A letter will be sent to the registered address of the vehicle informing you of the annual examination.

If your vehicle is temporarily unregistered, you will need a Temporary Movement Permit to drive the vehicle to the chosen examination location, which can be purchased online.

If your vehicle is a personal import, it can only be inspected at a DVS Vehicle Examination Centre and cannot be inspected at an Approved Inspection Station (AIS).

Depending if you’re located Metro WA or Regional WA, examination fees and opening hours may vary.

For more information about this, click here.

Northern Territory
Roadworthy Inspections in the NT are only required for vehicles when they are 5 years old and 10 years old. Some vehicles require inspections every year.

If you’re registering a vehicle for the first time in NT, these are the vehicles that will need a roadworthy inspection:

Motor vehicle

  • Up to and including 4.5-tonne GVM
  • Between 5 and 10 years old and 10+ years old

Motor Vehicle and Trailer

  • More than 4.5-tonne GVM / ATM
  • Except new rigid trucks not more than 24.0-tonne GVM


  • Up to and including 500kg tare or
  • Up to and including 750kg ATM and
  • From five years old and
  • Less than 10 years old
  • Up to and including 4.5 tonne ATM

Commercial passenger vehicle (also requires a Commercial Passenger Vehicle (CPV) Inspection)

  • Taxis
  • Minibuses
  • Private hire cars
  • Limousines
  • Ridesharing
  • Vehicles registered as tourist vehicles
  • Passenger buses registered as motor omnibus (MO)
  • Special function vehicles

For renewing a registration you may need to book a roadworthy annually, or once the car turns 5 years of age and 10 years of age.

The following vehicles must book a roadworthy inspection annually unless the vehicle is exempt under an approved vehicle maintenance scheme:

  • Motor vehicle up to and including 4.5-tonne GVM and 10+ years older
  • Motor vehicle or trailer greater than 4.5-tonne GVM / ATM, except new rigid trucks up to and including 24.0-tonne GVM
  • A trailer more than 500kg tare or more than 750kg ATM and up to and including 4.5 tonne ATM, from 10 years old
  • Any Commercial Passenger vehicle

The following vehicles require a roadworthy inspection from 5 years old and another inspection when the vehicle is 10 years old:

  • Motor vehicle up to and including 4.5-tonne GVM and is between 5 and 10 years old
  • A trailer more than 500kg tare or more than 750kg ATM and up to and including 4.5 tonne ATM, between 5 and 10 years old

A Roadworthy Inspection can be performed by the MVR test shed or an authorised inspector. For more information, visit

Why do I need a Roadworthy Inspection?

Depending on what state or territory you’re in, Roadworthy Inspections can be required if you’re selling, registering or renewing a vehicle registration.

This shows that a vehicle meets the minimum safety requirements.

A set of minimum standards have been developed by The Australian Design Rules (ADR).

This gives the Australian Government power of vehicles before they are supplied to a market.

Once a vehicle has been supplied, it’s the state and territory governments responsibility to regulate all vehicles in use.

This includes Servicing, registration, licensing, roadworthiness and operational requirements.

Roadworthy and Safety Certificate Inspection Costs

How is the Roadworthy Inspection carried out?

Usually, a roadworthy inspection covers the basic vehicle safety standards for:

It’s important to remember a roadworthy inspection is not a comprehensive mechanical inspection.

If you’ve read this far, you obviously care about your car. A lot. So, if you need a service, repair or roadworthy inspection, visit

We let you search and book from over 1,600 qualified mechanics, who eat car troubles for breakfast.