Tyre Replacement save 20% to 60%
Get quotes from independent specialists near you.
Australia's #1 booking site for car services & repairs
Book now, pay later
Transparent prices no surprises
How Much Does a Tyre Replacement Cost?
The tyres on your vehicle are the main contact between you and the road, but they are one of the most overlooked parts when it comes to vehicle maintenance.
Tyres wear down over time but other problems with your vehicle may cause them to wear out faster or wear unevenly - costing you more money.
Having your tyres inspected and replaced when necessary will ensure that your vehicle is safe both for your family and other motorists.
Tyre replacement can cost $80 to $800+ depending on tyre size, tyre brand and type of vehicle.
What is a Tyre?
The tyres on your vehicle are made up of a combination of synthetic and natural rubber, along with cords or belts to provide a solid construction to withstand the weight of the vehicle and to protect against impacts.
They are air filled, which provides dampening properties as well as providing handling benefits.
Symptoms of Worn or Damaged Tyres
• Vibration through steering wheel or body of vehicle
• Increased stopping distances
• Decreased handling ability
• Screeching noise when cornering
• Decrease in ride quality
• Steering wheel off centre, or vehicle pulling to one side
How are tyres Replaced?
• The vehicle is raised and the wheels removed
• The wheels are mounted to a tyre machine and the old tyres are removed
• The air valve is replaced inside the rim
• The new tyre is fitted to the rim, and inflated to the correct pressure to seat the tyre
• The wheel and tyre are balanced to ensure no vibrations
• The wheels are refitted to the vehicle and a wheel alignment is performed
• The vehicle is test driven
Tips to remember
• A wheel alignment must be carried out after new tyres are fitted to ensure the suspension and steering is correctly adjusted. Failure to do so may cause premature wear on the new tyres
• The suspension and steering should also be inspected for damage or wear and tear when tyres are replaced.
Why It’s Important to Have Your Tyres Replaced
Having your tyres inspected and your suspension checked will ensure that your vehicle is in a safe condition for both you, your family, and other motorists on the road.
Driving a vehicle with tyres that are below the legal limit, or that have damage, can have adverse effects on the handling and stopping distance which may be the difference between having or avoiding an accident, especially in wet weather conditions.
Replacing your worn tyres will ensure your vehicle will handle and stop in a safe manner.
If you've read this far, you obviously care about your car. A lot. So next time you need a service, repair or inspection, visit AutoGuru. We let you search and book from over 1,600 qualified mechanics, who eat car troubles for breakfast.
*Available at select suppliers. T&Cs apply.