Transmission wont go into reverse save 20% to 60%
Get quotes from independent specialists near you.
Australia's #1 booking site for car services & repairs
Book now, pay later
Transparent prices no surprises
*Available at select suppliers. T&Cs apply.
Transmission wont go into reverse
How to get your transmission repaired
Here at AutoGuru we have the best customer rated workshops that can help you with all your vehicle repairs. We make it hassle free and easy!
Get quick, obligation-free quotes from multiple local mechanics and choose the one best suited to you. You can even pay with Afterpay!
What causes a transmission to not be able to shift into reverse?
There are a few reasons why your transmission wont go into reverse the most common reasons are:-
- Shift lock solenoid - the shift lock mechanism stops the driver from being able to take the vehicle out of park when the engine is off. It also stops the driver from being able to select a gear without depressing the brake pedal and the ignition on.
- Ignition barrel - If the ignition barrel is faulty it can cause the transmission to get stuck in park.
- Faulty shifter mechanism - If the shifter or the shift bushes are worn it can make the transmission hard to shift into gear
- Faulty shifter cable - If your shifter cable is damaged or worn it can cause issues trying to get into gear
- Failing transmission - Internal failures inside the transmission such as valves or torque convertor issues could also stop the transmission from shifting properly
How to tell if you need your transmission repaired
A few ways to tell if your transmission is starting to develop an issue:-
- You have trouble shifting into any gear
- You select the gear and the vehicle doesn't go anywhere
- There is excessive movement in the shifter
Is it important to get the transmission repaired
Depending on the issue you could be causing more damage the more you drive it, also with the transmission not going into reverse there is a chance you might get stuck and be up for a costly tow to your local workshop
How is the transmission repaired?
One of our workshops will diagnose the transmission and depending on the issue will depend on the size of the repair. It could be as simple as replacing shifter bushes or it could be a complete overhaul/replacement
Tips to remember
A few things to remember:-
- Make sure to get your transmission serviced as recommended by the manufacturer
- If you think something may be wrong, get in contact with us ASAP so we can get one of our workshops to check it over, sometimes an early diagnosis can save you money.