Tail Light Lens Replacement save 20% to 60%
Get quotes from independent Body specialists near you.
Australia's #1 booking site for car services & repairs
Book now, pay later
Transparent prices no surprises
How Much does a Tail Light Lens Replacement Cost?
Every car has lights on the rear that tell motorists behind when the car will be slowing or stopping, turning, or reversing.
The tail lights, brake lights, turn signal indicators, and often the reverse lights are all contained in the tail light lens.
From normal operation, the tail light lens can either become cloudy due to the environment around the car or, more often than not, the taillight lens is accidentally broken and requires replacement.
The average price for tail light lens replacement starts at $165 and goes to $750 and beyond.
Some tail light lenses contain LED bulbs or circuit boards, which is why the cost of replacement seems exorbitant.
Tail Light Lens Replacement
What is a Tail Light Lens?
Light bulbs on the rear of your car are contained within housings or lenses.
The lens both protects the bulb from moisture and breakage. As well, the tail light lens ensures the emanating light is the correct colour for the light’s purpose.
Many cars have one tail light lens on each side while others have tail light lenses that split up the purposes among two or three lenses per side.
A tail light lens is most often formed by polycarbonate plastic and sealed watertight to the tail light housing.
The hard plastic is easily broken with impact, and UV light and heat can cause the plastic to become cloudy or discoloured, and you require tail light lens replacement.
Symptoms Tail Light Lens Replacement is Required
- A hazy or cloudy appearance with diminished light from tail light
- Cracked or broken plastic
- Moisture inside tail light lens
How is Tail Light Lens Replacement Performed?
- The boot is opened and the trim is removed for access to tail light fasteners
- The retainer nuts or screws are removed and the old tail light is taken off
- The wiring harness is disconnected
- Wiring is connected to the new tail light lens and it’s fitted into place
- The tail light lens fasteners are installed, trim is refitted, and operation is confirmed
Tips to Remember
- Light bulbs may need to be transferred to the new tail light housing or lens.
- Always make sure the wiring is installed the same way it was removed, otherwise the incorrect lights may illuminate
How Important is Replacing your Tail Light Lens?
Having your tail light lens replaced when it’s broken or discoloured gives you the reassurance that other motorists can see where you intend to move your car.
If your tail light lens is broken or the lights are difficult to see, other drivers might not see your indicators. That puts you, your passengers, and other drivers on the road at risk of a collision.
If you’ve read this far, you obviously care about your car. A lot. So next time you need a service, repair or inspection, visit AutoGuru.com.au.
We let you search and book from over 1600 qualified mechanics, who eat car troubles for breakfast.