Need a Fuel Filter Replacement?
Instantly book Australia's best mechanics.
auto booking site.
most trusted mechanics.
How Much does a Fuel Filter Replacement Cost?
The injectors on many modern-day vehicles operate on incredibly small tolerances to provide the best fuel economy possible while providing the performance necessary to drive the vehicle day-to-day.
Any small dirt or debris in the fuel could throw a spanner in the works and cause the injectors to not operate correctly. This is where the fuel filter comes in.
Located either inside the fuel tank or in the fuel line before the fuel rail, it’s the fuel filters job to do just that – filter the fuel before it reaches the fuel injectors.
As with the other filters located around the car, the fuel filter needs to be replaced at the recommended manufacturers intervals to keep the vehicle operating at its optimum efficiency.
Replacing the fuel filter can cost between $120 and $400 depending on the location of the filter.
Fuel Filter Replacement
What is a Fuel Filter?
Fuel Filters come in many forms, ranging from small plastic cylinders that are connected into the fuel line up to large alloy housings with multiple fittings, depending on the fuel system.
Most fuel filters contain a paper or cardboard filtration element which catches contaminants and particles as the fuel passes through it, stopping them from entering the sensitive fuel injectors.
Symptoms you may need your Fuel Filter Replaced
- Increased fuel consumption
- Lack of power when accelerating
- Check engine light or water in fuel light (diesel vehicles only) is on
How is the Fuel Filter Replaced?
- The fuel filter will be located on the vehicle and inspected
- The fuel pressure will be relieved from the system
- The old filter will be disconnected and removed and a new one fitted
- The fuel system will be reconnected, and the vehicle run and inspected for leaks and correct operation
Tips to Remember
- Many newer vehicles incorporate the fuel pump and fuel filter assemblies in one unit, located inside the fuel tank itself. Many of these filters are not replaceable, and the ones that are can be quite labour intensive to replace – these filters usually have a longer operational life (around 80,000km) between changes.
- On a diesel vehicle, the fuel filter is one of the most critical components in keeping the vehicle running at its best. Diesel fuel injectors are highly sensitive to water and algae that can grow in the fuel tank, and particles the size of 10 microns (less than half the size of a single human hair!) can cause fuel injector issues if not filtered correctly. The Diesel fuel system will also need to be primed after replacing the fuel filter, to remove any air from the system.
How Important is Replacing your Fuel Filter?
The fuel filter is responsible for removing any dirt, debris or contamination from the fuel that enters your engine.
Without it, harmful debris would be allowed to enter the engine and would cause expensive damage to the sensitive fuel injectors as well as other engine components.
Image credit: Diego Torres Silvestre