Drive Belt Replacement save 20% to 60%
Get quotes from independent specialists near you.
Australia's #1 booking site for car services & repairs
Book now, pay later
Transparent prices no surprises
*Available at select suppliers. T&Cs apply.
Drive Belt Replacement
How Much does a Drive Belt Replacement Cost?
All motor vehicles use at least one drive belt, some have up to four, depending on the number of accessories fitted to the engine.
The serpentine belt, or drive belt – also known as a V belt – is what connects auxiliary components to the engine crankshaft pulley and provides power to them.
Without drive belts, your alternator would not be able to provide charge to the battery, your power steering would fail to operate, and your car may even overheat! These components are critical for safe operation of your vehicle, so every drive belt must be inspected at regular intervals, to ensure it is in good working condition.
The high temperature of the engine bay can cause the belt’s rubber to crack and perish over time. If it is not replaced, it can lead to breakage of the belt and failure of the power steering, alternator, water pump and air conditioning system.
The cost of having your drive belt/s replaced varies between $100 - $400+ depending on the style of drive belt/s and if other engine components need to be removed to allow access.
What is a Drive Belt?
The drive belt is a rubber belt with nylon cords incorporated throughout to provide greater strength and durability. They are connected to the crankshaft pulley, which allows them to transmit drive to the accessories they are connected to. This provides your power steering, air conditioning and alternator output when the engine is running.
Symptoms of a Failing Drive Belt
• Loud squeaking noise from engine bay
• Power steering heavy or not working
• Engine overheating
• Air conditioning not working
How is a Drive Belt Replaced?
• The drive belts will be inspected for wear
• If the belts require replacing, the old belts will be loosened and removed
• The tensioner/s will be inspected for damage (if applicable)
• The new belts will be fitted and tensioned correctly
• The engine will be run and checked for correct operation
Tips to remember:
• Drive belts are an often forgotten about item, so having them inspected and replaced when needed may increase the fuel economy and efficiency of your vehicle.
• If you notice your steering is heavier than usual, having the drive belt that runs the power steering pump inspected may lead to a cheap and easy repair.
Why Is It Important to Have Your Drive Belts Replaced?
The drive belt connects all the components to the engine and transfers the engines power to the accessories allowing them to operate correctly.
The power steering, alternator, air conditioning, and water pump (on some vehicles), will fail to operate if there is an issue with the drive belt. This can lead to massive safety issues if left unchecked.
If you've read this far, you obviously care about your car. A lot. So next time you need a service, repair or inspection, visit AutoGuru. We let you search and book from over 1,600 qualified mechanics, who eat car troubles for breakfast.