Need an Air Filter Replacement ?
Instantly book Australia's best mechanics.
auto booking site.
most trusted mechanics.
How Much does an Air Filter Replacement Cost?
Just like the human body, the engine in a modern-day vehicle requires air to operate correctly.
This air mixes with the fuel in the combustion chamber and is then ignited by the spark plugs in a petrol vehicle, or the temperature created by compression in a diesel engine.
To prevent harmful dirt and debris entering the engine, the air passes through an air filter, which is usually located in an air box in front of the inlet manifold.
This filter captures this debris and must be changed at regular intervals. Failure to do so will create a restriction in airflow, decrease fuel efficiency and may even cause internal damage to the engine.
An air filter replacement can cost between $50 and $200, depending on the type of filter chosen.
Air Filter Replacement
What is an Air Filter?
An air filter is dry paper or foam filter that is usually located inside the air box on the left or right-hand side of the engine in the engine bay. This filter removes dirt, debris and other contaminants from the air to ensure clean air is entering the engine for combustion.
Symptoms that your Air Filter may need to be Replaced
- Decreased fuel economy
- Engine performance reduced
- Engine running rough
How is Replacing your Air Filter Carried Out?
- The bonnet is opened and the air box opened
- The air filter is removed and inspected for contamination
- The air box will be cleaned of any debris
- If a new air filter is needed, it will be fitted to the air box
- The vehicle will be road tested for correct operation
Tips to Remember
- Many companies produce ‘High Performance’ air filters for common makes and models. These filters allow more airflow into the engine – the downside to this is they may not filter as well as normal air filters. They also have to be replaced more often or cleaned to ensure correct operation.
- Your filter may just need to be cleaned instead of replaced. This can be carried out quickly and easily using compressed air.
How important is replacing your Air Filter?
Replacing your air filter at regular intervals will ensure that your engine is only receiving clean, fresh air that will allow it to run at its best.
Failing to replace your air filter will allow harmful contaminants to enter the engine, which may cause serious internal damage if left unchecked.
It will also increase fuel consumption and reduce the performance of the engine.
If you've read this far, you obviously care about your car. A lot. So next time you need a service, repair or inspection, visit AutoGuru. We let you search and book from over 1,600 qualified mechanics, who eat car troubles for breakfast.