Auto transmission wont go into neutral save 20% to 60%
Get quotes from independent specialists near you.
Australia's #1 booking site for car services & repairs
Book now, pay later Interest-free payments
Transparent prices no surprises
*Available at select service providers. T&Cs apply.
Auto transmission wont go into neutral
How to get your transmission repaired
Here at AutoGuru we have the best customer rated workshops that can help you with all your vehicle repairs. We make it hassle free and easy!
Get quick, obligation-free quotes from multiple local mechanics and choose the one best suited to you. You can even pay with Afterpay!
What causes a transmission to not be able to shift into neutral?
There is a variety of reasons why your transmission might have trouble going into neutral
- Shift lock solenoid - The shift lock solenoid is the reason why you can't take your vehicle out of park when the vehicle is off and your foot is not on the brake. it can also cause issues when selecting gears if it is not operating properly
- Ignition barrel - The ignition barrel works in conjunction with the shift lock solenoid so if it is not operating correctly it can cause the shift lock solenoid to not actuate properly
- Faulty shifter mechanism - The shifter can have trouble shifting in between the gears if the bushes are worn or the cable is broken or damaged
- Faulty shifter cable - Most automatic transmissions have a cable that runs from the shifter to the transmission if it is broken or damaged it can prevent the gears from selecting properly
- Failing transmission - There could be a fault inside the transmission that is causing the issue
How to tell if you need your transmission repaired
There are a few ways to tell if your transmission may require repairing
- It is hard to shift into gear or it takes a while to go into gear once selected
- There is movement in the shifter
Is it important to get the transmission repaired
It is important to get your transmission repaired as soon as you start to notice something not working the way it should, in most cases the longer you leave it the more expensive it is to fix.
You could also find yourself stuck and up for an expensive tow to your local workshop if it fails completely.
How is the transmission repaired
Due to the variety of different issues that cause your transmission not to go into gear, Its best to get it checked out by your local workshop, From there they can diagnose the problem and provide you with a quote.
Tips to remember
Things to remember in regards to transmission repairs
- Always keep up to date with servicing as per your manufacturer's specifications
- Sometimes it's best to get a transmission specialist to inspect as it might require specialist tools to diagnose