Transmission wont go into park save 20% to 60%
Get quotes for your RAM 1500 from independent specialists near you.
Australia's #1 booking site for car services & repairs
Book now, pay later Interest-free payments
Transparent prices no surprises
*Available at select service providers. T&Cs apply.
RAM 1500 Transmission wont go into park
Why doesn't my RAM transmission go into park?
There could be many reasons why your RAM 1500 transmission doesn't go into park. The most common reasons are:
- Shift lock solenoid - The shift lock solenoid is the mechanism that stops the RAM 1500 from being able to be shifted out of park when the vehicle is off, it also won't let you put your vehicle into drive without turning on your ignition and putting your foot on the brake.
- Ignition barrel - the ignition barrel generally makes it hard to get the transmission out of park but a ignition barrel/tumbler can make it difficult to get into park as well
- Faulty shifter mechanism - If the shifter mechanism has a lot of play it can make it difficult to shift
- Faulty shifter cable - Generally automatic transmissions have a single cable which is connected to transmission if it has been damaged or has broken it can prevent the gears from engaging properly
- Failing transmission - an internal issue inside the transmission could also cause the transmission not to shift properly
A couple of ways to tell if your transmission is starting to develop an issue:-
- It intermittently has trouble going into any gear
- The RAM 1500's shifter has excessive movement
The transmission can be diagnosed at your local workshop and depending on the issue it will depend on what repair will be carried out, this can vary from a simple shifter bushes replacement to a complete transmission overhaul or replacement.
If you don't get your RAM 1500 transmission repaired when it starts to have problems you can get caught out. Generally, if you can't put your vehicle into park you can't take the key out of the ignition which means you won't be able to lock it and you'll be up for a tow to your local workshop.
Here at AutoGuru, we have the best customer rated workshops that can help you with all your vehicle repairs. We make it hassle-free and easy!