Pre-purchase inspection with NRMA
Buying a car will likely be one of the most expensive purchases you’ll ever make.
But which car you buy doesn’t, or shouldn’t, be decided just on the price – you’ll want to make sure that you’re getting a decent, sound vehicle before handing over your hard-earned dollars.
A pre-purchase inspection is a service that allows you to make an informed decision based on a professional report completed by a qualified mechanic.
There are a great deal of pre-purchase inspection options available with many automotive businesses offering the service.
You can expect the cost to vary between $100 for your basic service, to upward of $400 depending on the type of inspection and the vehicle model/size.
NRMA, otherwise known as the National Roads and Motorists’ Association, is Australia’s largest member organisation.
With roadside assistance at the core of its business, NRMA has been getting vehicles going for over 90 years and is a trusted brand in the Australian motor trades.
NRMA offers a comprehensive mobile pre-purchase inspection service from Monday to Saturday, 7:30 am – 5:30 pm in the following regions: Sydney metro, lower Blue Mountains, Central Coast, Newcastle, Maitland, Canberra and Illawarra.
Taking between 60 to 90 minutes, NRMA will email a detailed same-day vehicle inspection report upon completion.
Standard Inspection (cars under 10 years):
Mobile Inspection | Member: $269 | Non-Member: $289In-store Inspection
| Member: $299 | Non-Member: $319
4WD/AWD, SUV, MPV & cars over 10 years:
Mobile Inspection | Member: $319 | Non-Member: $339In-store Inspection
| Member: $349 | Non-Member: $369
Mobile Inspection | Member: $369 | Non-Member: $389In-store Inspection
| Member: $399 | Non-Member: $419
- Interior: Seatbelt and restraints, seat and trim, door, hinges and child locks, window operation, horn, dashboard and warning lights, gauges, washers and wipers, heat demister, radio control, lights, rear window demister, air conditioner.
- Exterior: Paint, panel and exterior trim, rust, glass and mirrors, bonnet and boot (including interior) and locks.
- Underbody: Frames and members, underfloor panels, fuel tank/hoses, exhaust system, transmission, components, differential, drive shafts, universal joints, front and rear suspension, steering components, shock absorbers, handbrake and wheel bearings.
- Engine: Fumes, smoke and noise, fluid levels and condition, mounting, emission control, drive belts, charging, radiator and cap, hoses and pipes, water pump/cooling, fan and ignition/fuel systems.
- Tyres, wheels & brakes: Tyres including spare, wheels, master cylinder, callipers, brake booster, hoses and pipes, handbrake.
- Road Test: Engine performance review including noise, exhaust smoke, transmission, differential, steering and suspension, brake operation, cruise control and 4WD, AWD, SUV and MVP review (when applicable).
NRMA also offers in-store inspections at its 23 servicing centres across NSW and Canberra.
The difference between NRMA’s mobile inspection and in-store inspection is the added advantage of a hoist.
Pre-purchase inspections that take place within their service centres utilise the hoist and permit wheels to be removed and a thorough brake pad examination to take place.
Looking for another option? No worries!
AutoGuru can help you easily book a Pre-Purchase Inspection with a high-quality, local and affordable mechanic.
Grab an instant quote to see how much you could save with AutoGuru.
All data gathered in December 2018.
Clancy has been working in, and writing about, the automotive industry for half her adult life.
She loves her work and all things automotive and looks forward to the day she is considered a guru on the subject, an auto guru perhaps.