- top tips
Everything you auto know about child restraints
Updated 15 Oct 2019
In Australia, your child needs to be restrained in a car seat that meets Australian Standards until he/she reaches the age of 7.
Here is a basic rundown of age-appropriate child restraints:
1. Up to 6 months of age – approved rear-facing child restraint;
2. 6 months to 4 years of age – approved rear-facing or forward-facing child restraint with a built-in harness;
3. 4 – 7 years of age – approved forward-facing child restraint with a built-in harness OR in an approved booster seat secured with an adult seatbelt or a fastened and adjusted H-Harness.
4. 7+ years – a big kid now! There are 3 options available at this age:
- Standard car seat with an adult seatbelt;
- Approved booster seat secured with an adult seatbelt or an H-Harness;
- Or an approved forward-facing child restraint with a built-in harness that is properly adjusted and fastened.
Important things to note:
1. Use a child restraint that is less than 10 years old;
2. Do not use a child restraint that has been in a car accident;
3. Ensure your approved child restraint is properly adjusted and fastened;
4. If your child is not in an approved child restraint (that is properly fastened and adjusted), you can be fined $400 and incur 3 demerit points for each child that is not properly restrained.
We have a qualified fitment technician at Southeast Auto Mechanical who has completed the Australian Child Restraint Resource Initiative (ACRI) course and is fully accredited to carry out child restraint checks and fitment. Child restraint fitment will set you back about $45.
Play it safe, have your child restraint fitted by an accredited specialist today.
Fionna is the owner of Southeast Auto Mechanical in Beenleigh, Queensland. A former lawyer, Fionna decided on a radical career change, qualified as a light vehicle mechanic and took over Southeast Auto in 2016.
As well as delivering quality service to their customers, Fionna and her team run an award-winning, free car maintenance workshop program for women.